Now that we've been here for some time we are starting to get back into a daily routine: schedules, chores, cooking, naps, errands, working out, etc. On the weekends we always try to do some exploring or something social with people we have met. It has been nice to do stuff and not always have housework to do.
We went to the Gartenschau in Kaiserslautern. It was really nice. They have thousands and thousands of tulips (I believe they are imported from Holland) for spring. The park is so huge you cannot see everything in one day. There are parks, picnics, paths for hiking, Japanese tea, a willow tree church and much, much more. Plus, we were able to run through the tulips and explore the bugs inside the flowers. It was a great time. It was such a wide-open space there was plenty of room for Joseph to run.
We had a special treat in our "back yard." As spring has sprung new flowers are blooming every week. One afternoon Joseph and I walked out to play in the dirt and we saw Columbines, the Colorado state flower!!! It was a nice surprise for the day. I kept Joseph from picking them all day, until daddy got home. After that it was bon voyage.
I had a great Mother's Day. Mike treated me to a whole weekend of pampering of whatever Mommy wanted to do. We did most of my favorite things to do as a Mom. First, I was free of diaper duty from Friday night to Sunday night. Second, I got two mornings to sleep in.
Saturday morning we went to breakfast at the place down the street we really like. It was a typical European breakfast with eggs cooked your style and then a buffet of sweet breads, fresh fruit, yogurt, cheeses, deli meats, and juices/coffee. Then in the afternoon we went on a family walk with the dogs and took pictures. It was an extra treat for Joseph. All day he had been talking about horses and pretending he was a horse. On our walk he went down a tractor road and found two horses grazing in a pasture. I love it when he gets the look of awe in his face.
Then, Mike and Joseph took us out to dinner. I just want to try a new and different place. My motto, since in Germany has been, "You have to try it so you'll know if you like it." I try to try something new and different every place I go. The restaurant we went to was one we stumbled upon a few weeks ago on one of our walks to the village. Here, streets are cobble alleyways. You have to walk down them because there are restaurants and shops in every nook and cranny of every village. So we noted it and said we would come back some day. This day happened to be Mother's day. It was the best, richest, filling dinner we ever had. Coming out on the plate we thought ugh! But, once I tasted my salmon and Mike tasted his steak we were sold on coming back. The sauces on the meat were amazing and complimented the meat in a way we were not expecting. YUMMY!
Mike walked Joseph home after the dinner and I went to the video store to pick out a movie for us to watch that night. Note: I had to take the house key off to give to Mike so he could get in the apartment.
Sunday we went to church. We got home and realized that we never put our apartment key back on the key ring to the car. Further, I left our cell phone in the apartment because we were only going to church. Why would I need it for church? Our landlord owns an antique shop on base, but we doubted it would be open as all German shops (and most everything else) are closed on Sundays. As we drove up to the area where the shops are we saw there was an antique show that day. We figured his shop had to be open. Sure enough, he met us at the apartment and let us in. It was nice of Mike to lock me out of the apartment on Mother's day!!!
We also saw The Black Gate. We actually saw this as we drove into the section of Trier. I'm not sure how we missed it the first time. You can actually go up into the gate. We didn't make it up it as Joseph was having a meltdown because the tour bus looks like a "choo-choo" and we would not let him ride it. He could look and touch it, but not ride it. So, we left with our 2 year old screamed at the top of his lungs all the way back to the car. And yes, everyone looked at us as if we were beating our child as we walked by. Growing up my dad used to call me "lady lungs." I guess Joseph gets his screaming from me and it's pay back time! :)
It was a great Mother's day. I enjoyed every moment of it. Thank you
This last weekend there was no exploring. Just more family walks in the county and getting together with new friends we are making. It's been nice and relaxing.
A big shout out to our niece, Abby. Lot of hugs, kisses, loves, and prayers as she had her 2nd surgery. We love you Arvada Jenson family! XXOOXXOO!
There are many, many more pictures. I think I uploaded about 175. If you would like to see them all please go to the following link:


No comments:
Post a Comment