My goodness time flies. It is hard to believe we have been in Germany 8 months now and that Daniel is 4 months old. In another 4 months Joseph will be 3!
Between Rome and now we celebrated St. Nicholas Day. This is a bit of a German tradition that I am considering adopting. It’s celebrated on December 6th, which is the feast day of St. Nicholas of Bari, who was a generous bishop in 200-300 A.D. He was known for leaving gifts of gold to the needy. In Germany, on the eve of December 5th, German children place their shoes close to the fireplace and leave cookies and treats out for St. Nicholas, in the hopes that he will leave them gifts. Some household receives simple gifts and notes for the children to let them know if they are on the good or bad list. Other households celebrate by finding all of their Christmas gift on the morning of the 6th. This year we celebrated St. Nicholas Day and found all of our gifts early. This was useful, as we will be traveling over Christmas. I have now come to find that this also helps to give a full day, which is dedicated to toys and gift giving, that doesn’t take away from the advent season or the message and intent of Christmas morning.
Life for us is very good. We are busy, like anyone, and we struggle with managing our time and staying in touch with those who are dear to us. For every great memory we make, we are reminded of how much we miss home and our friends and family.
Last month we were blessed with a new niece. Delaney Catherine was born to Mike’s brother and wife and will be baptized this month. Our thoughts will be with her over this holy season. Welcome Delaney!
Daniel:
Now 4 months old and eating like a champ. I have started him on baby food. So far he likes variety. If he has one thing one day he does not want it the next, but if you skip a day he will eat it like it is new and yummy. Daniel continues to be our happy baby. If he is awake he is smiling and laughing and playing. I believe he will be a talker like his older brother. He is a babbler. For St Nicholas Day he received an Exersaucer. Joseph broke the one he had and Joseph loved it so much we got one for Daniel. He is still a bit small for it, but I’m looking forward to him growing into it.
Joseph:
All I can say is THANK YOU DONNA PRIESTER! Thank you for the gift of knowledge via the book, “Love and Logic.” I feel like I am able to manage and communicate effectively with my strong willed and energetic two-year old!!! Is every day perfect? No. Are my days less stressful? Yes. I highly recommend this book to anyone with children.
Between Rome and now we celebrated St. Nicholas Day. This is a bit of a German tradition that I am considering adopting. It’s celebrated on December 6th, which is the feast day of St. Nicholas of Bari, who was a generous bishop in 200-300 A.D. He was known for leaving gifts of gold to the needy. In Germany, on the eve of December 5th, German children place their shoes close to the fireplace and leave cookies and treats out for St. Nicholas, in the hopes that he will leave them gifts. Some household receives simple gifts and notes for the children to let them know if they are on the good or bad list. Other households celebrate by finding all of their Christmas gift on the morning of the 6th. This year we celebrated St. Nicholas Day and found all of our gifts early. This was useful, as we will be traveling over Christmas. I have now come to find that this also helps to give a full day, which is dedicated to toys and gift giving, that doesn’t take away from the advent season or the message and intent of Christmas morning.Life for us is very good. We are busy, like anyone, and we struggle with managing our time and staying in touch with those who are dear to us. For every great memory we make, we are reminded of how much we miss home and our friends and family.
Last month we were blessed with a new niece. Delaney Catherine was born to Mike’s brother and wife and will be baptized this month. Our thoughts will be with her over this holy season. Welcome Delaney!
Daniel:
Joseph:
Mike and I:
Mike’s work became very busy in November. He has been just as busy since getting home from Rome. He’s still jogging every day and has no complaints. He continues to work on his Master’s degree and in RCIA at church. His input for the blog this month is: ‘Life is Good on Settlement Street’ (our street).
I have also started to run again. It is slow but sure, but I’m getting back into it. I have learned about the rain in Germany. I’m thinking I will have to take up a treadmill at the base gym if this is going to be a constant thing over the winter. I’m looking forward to spring. My German? Still not good…I try, but I still feel like I just can’t get it. Mike is much better at it than me.
We are still meeting new people and making new friends. It is nice to know wherever you are in the world there are always new and different people to share your life with. We are glad to have this opportunity and meet those we have met (I feel like I should sing a girl scout song here…make new friends but keep the old…). We wish you all a Merry Christmas, both far and near.
Our Christmas thoughts are with all of our family and all of our friends.
Our Christmas wish is that sincere kindness be given along with each gift and that good desires go with every greeting.
As a family, we treasure the gift of peace.
“My soul proclaims the greatness of the Lord, my spirit rejoices in God my Savior, for he has looked with favor on his lowly servant” Lk 1:46
Merry Christmas Everyone!
We miss home.
Saint Nicholas Pictures:

Oh I saw a Kuckucks Uhr on your wall!!! You are becoming more and more German - ha ha.
ReplyDeleteGlad to hear you sound like you are all having fun. Enjoy, and we will all be waiting for you here in CO :)